[R] Danish characters i R2.0.1 vs R1.9.1 under winXP

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Nov 22 11:48:21 CET 2004

The problem is in your OS, which thinks the character \370 is not
printable in your locale.

Apparently this is a WinXP problem, for it also thinks \366 is not
printable in German (and other versions of Windows thinks it is).
(Uwe Ligges pointed that out a few hours ago.)

R 1.9.1 did not check, and so made a mess of trying to print non-printable
characters, in particular nuls and control characters.

There is no simple workaround, as you do want octal representation for
non-printable characters (e.g. embedded nuls).  What I have proposed is
that we override Windows' view for upper (>= 0x80) characters.

It does not seem to be common: the only reports before today were for
Chinese, which is not expected to work.