[R] Error using glm with poisson family and identity link

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Thu Nov 25 23:28:56 CET 2004

Hi, Peter:

      Thanks for the comment and reply.

      I generally avoid constrained optimizers for three reasons:

      1.  My experience with them has included many cases where the
optimizer would stop with an error when testing parameter values that
violate the constraints.  If I transform the parameter space to remove
the constraints, that never happens.  The constrained optimizers in R
2.0.1 may not exhibit this behavior, but I have not checked.

      2.  In a few cases, I've plotted the log(likelihood) vs. parameter
values using various transformations.  When I've done that, I typically
found that the most nearly parabolic performance used unconstrained
parameterizations.  This makes asymptotic normality more useful and
increases the accuracy of simple, approximate sequential Bayesian
procedures.

      3.  When I think carefully about a particular application, I often
find a rationale for claiming that a certain unconstrained
parameterization provides a better description of the application.  For
example, interest income on investments is essentially additive on the
log scale.  Similarly, the concept of "materiality" in Accounting is
closer to being constant in log space:  One might look for an error of a
few Euros in the accounts of a very small business, but in auditing some
major government accounts, errors on the order of a few Euros might not
be investigated.  Also, measurement errors with microvolts are much
smaller than with megavolts;  expressing the measurements in decibels
(i.e., on the log scale) makes the measurement errors more nearly
comparable.

      Thanks again for your comments.
      Best Wishes,
      Spencer Graves

--
Spencer Graves, PhD, Senior Development Engineer
O:  (408)938-4420;  mobile:  (408)655-4567