[R] Error using glm with poisson family and identity link

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Nov 26 08:30:08 CET 2004

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, Spencer Graves wrote:

>     I generally avoid constrained optimizers for three reasons:
>     1.  My experience with them has included many cases where the optimizer
> would stop with an error when testing parameter values that violate the
> constraints.  If I transform the parameter space to remove the constraints,
> that never happens.  The constrained optimizers in R 2.0.1 may not exhibit
> this behavior, but I have not checked.

They do not, and OTOH if the MLE really does lie on the boundary (and here
it may well, with one data point fitted with mean zero) transformation
will often not find a good solution.

Constrained optimization is a hard problem, good methods are very
complex and good code to implement them is usually expensive.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk