[R] 2k-factorial design with 10 parameters

Petr Pikal petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Tue Nov 30 13:30:41 CET 2004

On 30 Nov 2004 at 12:59, Sven wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to apply a 2^k factorial design with k=10 parameters.
> Obviously this results in a quite long term for the model equation due
> to the high number of combinations of parameters.
>
> How can I specify the equation for the linear model (lm) without
> writing all combinations explicitly down by hand? Does a R command
> exist for this problematic?

Hi Sven

from
?lm

The specification 'first*second'
     indicates the _cross_ of 'first' and 'second'.  This is the same
     as 'first + second + first:second'

and from

?formula

## Create a formula for a model with a large number of variables:
     xnam <- paste("x", 1:25, sep="")
     (fmla <- as.formula(paste("y ~ ", paste(xnam, collapse= "+"))))

If you change 1:25 to 1:10 and collapse to * and use fmla in your
model you will get what you want (I suppose). But I woder if it
has any sense.

Cheers
Petr