[R] How to install a package that needs to see oher pkg dependencies:

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Oct 10 08:35:03 CEST 2004

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004, Aldi Kraja wrote:

> Hi,
> I am trying to install the genetics package on a server with Linux,
> Fedora. I installed it in a PC and worked fine.
>
> In a server since I am not used with R, I am not sure what do I need to
> change so genetics pkg can see some package dependencies:
> Any suggestion is appreciated, Aldi
>
> Note:
> genetics expects gregmisc and mvtnorm to be installed already. gregmisc
> creates gdata etc dependencies.
> So here is what I have done:
> Retrieved the base R and installed and compiled it with make under :
> /users/genetics/aldi/r/R/R-2.0.0
>
> Under it directories:
> /mvtnorm
> /gregmisc
> /genetics
> are created.
> Installed mvtnorm and gregmisc with no problem, but genetics is not
> recognizing the location of /gregmisc/gdata
>
> The command I am using to install genetics package is the following:
> ../bin/R CMD ../bin/INSTALL genetics_1.1.0.tar.gz
>
> Here is the problem:
>
> genetics at genxeon1:/users/genetics/aldi/r/R-2.0.0/genetics% ../bin/R CMD
> ../bin/INSTALL -l . genetics_1.1.0.tar.gz

The correct commands are

R CMD INSTALL gregmisc_2.0.0.tar.gz
R CMD INSTALL genetics_1.1.0.tar.gz

Wherever did you get `../bin/INSTALL -l .' from?

You need to install into a library that is in the library path for the
package to be usable, and the system library (the default) is the best
choice.  (This is no different from S-PLUS, on which you have been asking
questions on s-news for many years.)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk