[R] How to install a package that needs to see oher pkg dependencies:

Aldi Kraja aldi at wubios.wustl.edu
Sun Oct 10 14:51:28 CEST 2004

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

>The correct commands are
>
>R CMD INSTALL gregmisc_2.0.0.tar.gz
>R CMD INSTALL genetics_1.1.0.tar.gz
>
>Wherever did you get `../bin/INSTALL -l .' from?
>
>You need to install into a library that is in the library path for the
>package to be usable, and the system library (the default) is the best
>choice.  (This is no different from S-PLUS, on which you have been asking
>questions on s-news for many years.)

Thank you Brian for your response. In the online manual for the R
installation and administration (2004)
it says:
"Note that you need to specify implicitly or explicitly the library to
which the package is
to be installed. This is only an issue if you have more than one
library, of course.
To install packages from source on Unix use
R CMD INSTALL -l /path/to/library pkg1 pkg2 ..."

I am working in a case where in the general path is already version 1.9,
and I am installing locally version 2.0.0
My local copy will be removed in the moment that my Net. Adm. will
install version 2.0.0 in the general path.

I am executing INSTALL command under ..../aldi/r/R-2.0.0/gregmisc%
I am executing INSTALL command under ..../aldi/r/R-2.0.0/genetics%
So ../bin/ is the local place where I have INSTALL for v. 2,
-l  . is the path where INSTALL has to look for the package, gregmisc etc.

The gregmisc works fine, it creates gdata.
Genetics package is searching for gdata, but does not see it under my
local ...../gregmisc/gdata/
So my question was: what do I need to provide to genetics to see gdata,
or what do I need to change to genetics to see the gdata?
TIA,
Aldi