[R] memory in R

yyan liu zhliur at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 11 20:55:01 CEST 2004

Hi:
  I am doing a MCMC algorithm which is well known to
consume much computer memory. And I have a problem
everytime I run my R program. It stopped at certain
iteration and says "can not allocate a vector of 19
kb".
It seems that the computer's memory has been
exhausted. However, it is said that after each
iteration the objects (such as a huge matrix) can be
set to NULL. And the memory will be released so the
program will consume as much memory as before. I
wonder how to do that, that is, set the object to be
NULL. Say, A is a matrix in each iteration. I just
need to write A<-NULL ?? And this approach really
works?
  Thank you very much!

liu