[R] tree version 1.0-16

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Fri Oct 15 22:29:49 CEST 2004

Kalaylioglu, Zeynep (IMS) wrote:
> Hi
> There is something weird going on with the "tree" package version
> 1.0-16.
> So I want to download an updated tree package. I found that R website
> has version 1.0-18. I want to try this one and see how the tree
> algorithm is performing.
> What is the best way to download tree package version 1.0-18 which can
> be found in index of src/contrib at www.r-project.org?
> So far I tried two different ways none of which has worked for me:
> 1) I tried to download it by running the command
> install.packages("tree","C:\Program
> Files\R\rw1081\library","http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib",destdir=
> "C:\Program <http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib",destdir="C:/Program>
> Files\R\rw1081\library",installWithVers=TRUE)
> But it tries to connect to
> http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/bin/windows/contrib/1.8/PACKAGES
> <http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/bin/windows/contrib/1.8/PACKAGES>
> instead of the URL I enter above.

How about Packages --> Install package(s) from CRAN...? You are making
things unnecessarily difficult.

> 2) Also I tried to download it by copying the zip file first
>  tree_1.0-18.tar.gz

Zip files don't end with .tar.gz! These are tarred and gzipped source
packages that you are almost certainly not set up to install. Your best
bet is to try the simplest things first, which on Windows is to use the
Packages menu.

Best,

Jim