[R] tree version 1.0-16

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sat Oct 16 11:38:14 CEST 2004

    ZKala> Hi There is something weird going on with the "tree"
    ZKala> package version 1.0-16.  So I want to download an
    ZKala> updated tree package. I found that R website has
    ZKala> version 1.0-18. I want to try this one and see how
    ZKala> the tree algorithm is performing.  What is the best
    ZKala> way to download tree package version 1.0-18 which can
    ZKala> be found in index of src/contrib at
    ZKala> www.r-project.org?  So far I tried two different ways
    ZKala> none of which has worked for me: 1) I tried to
    ZKala> download it by running the command
    ZKala> install.packages("tree","C:\Program
    ZKala> Files\R\rw1081\library","http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib",destdir=
    ZKala> "C:\Program
    ZKala> <http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib",destdir="C:/Program>
    ZKala> Files\R\rw1081\library",installWithVers=TRUE) But it
    ZKala> tries to connect to
    ZKala> http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/bin/windows/contrib/1.8/PACKAGES
    ZKala> <http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/bin/windows/contrib/1.8/PACKAGES>
    ZKala> instead of the URL I enter above.

yes, I see  that your R version is 'R (for windows) 1.8.1'
and that's probably why it tries to get package for that
version.

If you want to upgrade packages, I strongly recommend to first
upgrade R to the current version 2.0.0 (or maybe "2.0.0 patched")
-- and then follow the advice from James MacDonald.

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich

    ZKala> 2) Also I tried to download it by copying the zip
    ZKala> file first tree_1.0-18.tar.gz
    ZKala> <http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/tree_1.0-18.tar.gz>
    ZKala> in my directory and then using the "Packages->Install
    ZKala> package from local -zip files" in the R menu.

    ZKala> How can I download this version of tree? Thanks.

    ZKala> Zeynep

    ZKala> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]