[R] Robust regression with groups

Dimitris Rizopoulos dimitris.rizopoulos at med.kuleuven.ac.be
Thu Oct 21 12:11:22 CEST 2004

Hi Bert,

Regarding the sensitivity in the choice of the random-effects
distribution, I know that usually estimates of the fixed-effects (and
their std.errors) do not have serious problems, even if you assume
normality where in fact you have log-normality. However, you do have a
problem in the EB estimates of the random-effects.

More info could be found in:

G. Verbeke and E. Lesaffre (1996). A linear mixed-effects model with
heterogeneity in the random-effects population, JASA, 91, 217-221.

W. Ghidey, E. Lesaffre and P. Eilers (2004). Smooth random-effects
distribution in linear mixed model, Biometrics, 60, 945-953.
(to appear in December)

Best,
Dimitris

----
Dimitris Rizopoulos
Ph.D. Student
Biostatistical Centre
School of Public Health
Catholic University of Leuven

Address: Kapucijnenvoer 35, Leuven, Belgium
Tel: +32/16/396887
Fax: +32/16/337015
Web: http://www.med.kuleuven.ac.be/biostat/
     http://www.student.kuleuven.ac.be/~m0390867/dimitris.htm