[R] Robust regression with groups

Angelo Secchi secchi at sssup.it
Thu Oct 21 16:57:56 CEST 2004

Hi,
Bert you are definitely right I've been confuse
and unclear on the nature of my problem (sorry about that).

In my message "robust regression" was referred to techniques able to
deal (when you estimate the variance of your coefficients) with
departures from the set of assumptions in a standard linear regression,
like for example the presence of heteroskedaciticy. In this case the
robust estimator of the variance of \beta (i.e. the coefficients) is
obtained considering a correction that take into account the
contribution from each observation to the score(d(ln L)/d\beta). Now I
would like to consider also the possibility that observations are not
independent as they are but they can be divided into groups that are
independent. In this case to obtain an estimator for the variance
that take into account this departure from the standard assumptions I
need a correction that take into account the contribution of each group
(and not of each observation) to the score(d(ln L)/d\beta). In summary,
I do not need more sophisticated way to estimate my coefficients but
only a routine to obtain a meaningful estimate for the variance of them.
Does this routine already exist in R?

Thanks,
a.

PS Thanks Dimitris but it seems that I cannot use a random effects model
since the Hausmann specification test casts doubt on the assumptions
justifying the use of a GLS estimator.