[R] Robust regression with groups

Berton Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Thu Oct 21 18:28:10 CEST 2004

Angelo:

If I understand you correctly, what you want is exactly the mixed effects
model that Dmitris has already suggested. As you appear to be confused about
the underlying statistical concepts, I suggest that you read at least the
first and fourth chapters of MIXED-EFFECTS MODELS IN S AND S-PLUS by Bates
and Pinheiro. Chapter 10 of MASS (4th Edition) by Venables and Ripley (which
I would unequivocally say should be on every S language user's shelf)
contains a much terser overview, but consequently requires a stronger
statistical background to understand.

My apologies if I have misunderstood, but the references are good ones
anyway.

Cheers,
Bert

-- Bert Gunter
Genentech Non-Clinical Statistics
South San Francisco, CA

"The business of the statistician is to catalyze the scientific learning
process."  - George E. P. Box