[R] Robust regression with groups

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Thu Oct 21 18:57:43 CEST 2004

Hi, Angelo:

      Have you plotted the data in creative ways, e.g., normal
probability plots and plots vs. time with a separate line for each
subject and with separate line types colors and plotting symbols for the
different experimental / treatment groups?  [If the response variable(s)
are all positive, I would also try the same thing using log="y".  If the
log(y/(1-y)) with some adjustment to "y" to shrink it away from 0 and
1.]  I always want to do the simple things first.  Plots like this too
often show me that my favorite model is not appropriate.  I've sometimes
skipped this step only to be forced back to it after getting nonsense
fits.  The Gods may have smiled upon Pygmalion, turning his beloved
creation into a flesh and blood woman.  I more often encounter the
"great tragedy of science:  a beautiful theory slain by an ugly fact."

      If these plot do NOT show wild outliers, then I would think that
"lme" would be precisely what you want, as Bert suggested.  Years ago
George Box said he thought that unmodelled autocorrelation was harder to
detect and potentially more damaging than nonnormality.  He said
something to the effect, "Why worry about mice when there are tigers
about?"

      hope this helps.  spencer graves

Berton Gunter wrote:

>Angelo:
>
>If I understand you correctly, what you want is exactly the mixed effects
>model that Dmitris has already suggested. As you appear to be confused about
>the underlying statistical concepts, I suggest that you read at least the
>first and fourth chapters of MIXED-EFFECTS MODELS IN S AND S-PLUS by Bates
>and Pinheiro. Chapter 10 of MASS (4th Edition) by Venables and Ripley (which
>I would unequivocally say should be on every S language user's shelf)
>contains a much terser overview, but consequently requires a stronger
>statistical background to understand.
>
>My apologies if I have misunderstood, but the references are good ones
>anyway.
>
>Cheers,
>Bert
>
>-- Bert Gunter
>Genentech Non-Clinical Statistics
>South San Francisco, CA
>
>"The business of the statistician is to catalyze the scientific learning
>process."  - George E. P. Box

Spencer Graves, PhD, Senior Development Engineer
O:  (408)938-4420;  mobile:  (408)655-4567