FW: [R] How do I insert a newline in my title in a plot?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Sep 16 16:15:59 CEST 2004

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Paul Lemmens wrote:

> Hoi Christos,
>
> --On donderdag 16 september 2004 16:00 +0300 Christos Rodopoulos
> <chrodopoulos at mindshare.gr> wrote:
>
> > yes I have tries, and nothing. It just shows the strings with the slashn,
> > just like i typed it.

At least inside R single and double quotes are equivalent.

> So it's an interpretation matter. Unfortunately I cannot figure out the
> help page dealing with this :-/

That's because it's in R-lang:

String constants are delimited by a pair of single (@samp{'}) or double
(@samp{"}) quotes and can contain all other printable characters.
Quotes and other special characters within strings are specified using
@emph{escape sequences}:

A single quote may also be embedded directly in a double-quote delimited
string and vice versa.

It is possible that a front-end processor is interfering here, and so what
is typed is not reaching R unchanged.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk