[R] glmmPQL correlation structure

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Wed Sep 22 18:55:13 CEST 2004

      Have you tried GLMM in lme4?  Doug Bates is the primary architect
of both nlme and lme4.  Therefore, I would think that a spatial
dependence model that works in nlme might also work in GLMM.

      hope this helps.  spencer graves

Martin Henry H. Stevens wrote:

> Running Mac OS 10.3.5 and R 2.0
> Does glmmPQL use the same spatial dependence models as gls in nmle? It
> does not seem to - I get the following, for example:
> > m2 <- glmmPQL(S.Early ~ fertilized*watered, data=geodat,
> family="poisson", random=~1|col)
> iteration 1
> iteration 2
> > plot(Variogram(m2, form=~col+row))
> > m3 <- update(m2,correlation=corSpher(c(5,.5), form=~col+row, nugget=T))
> iteration 1
> Error in model.frame(formula, rownames, variables, varnames, extras,
> extranames,  :
>     invalid variable type
> >

> Any leads on how to specify exponential or spherical models would be
> appreciated (e.g., pageg or chapter in Venables and Ripley 2002).
>
> Cheers,
> Hank
>

> Dr. Martin Henry H. Stevens, Assistant Professor
> 338 Pearson Hall
> Botany Department
> Miami University
> Oxford, OH 45056
>
> Office: (513) 529-4206
> Lab: (513) 529-4262
> FAX: (513) 529-4243
> http://www.cas.muohio.edu/botany/bot/henry.html
> http://www.muohio.edu/ecology/
> http://www.muohio.edu/botany/
> "E Pluribus Unum"

Spencer Graves, PhD, Senior Development Engineer
O:  (408)938-4420;  mobile:  (408)655-4567