[R] Perhaps Off-topic lme question

Berton Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Wed Apr 13 00:43:31 CEST 2005

A question on lme() :

details: nlme() in R 2.1.0 beta or 2.0.1

The data,y, consisted of 82 data value in 5 groups of sizes   3  9  8 28 34
.

I fit a simple one level random effects model by:

myfit <- lme( y~1, rand = ~1|Group)

The REML estimates of between and within Group effects are .0032 and .53,
respectively; the between group component is essentially zero as is clearly
evident from a plot of the data. So, thus far, no problem.

However, the confidence interval for the between Groups sd that I get from
intervals(myfit) goes from essentially 0 to infinity (6 x 10^13, actually).
I assume that this is because the between component estimate is too close to
the boundary of 0 so that the likelihood approximations with default
control values fail, but I would appreciate a more definitive comment from
someone who knows what they're talking about.

If anyone cares to try this, the data in group order are below (i.e., first
3 from Group 1, next 9 from Group 2, etc.).

Cheers to all,
Bert Gunter

14.7
15.8