[R] timeSeries Date Warning messages: Set timezone to GMT!

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Apr 19 23:46:42 CEST 2005

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, someone with the silly handle "Neuro LeSuperHéros"
wrote:

> Hello, I must be doing something wrong that's very obvious.  But I just don't
> see it.

Nor do we.  There are no such functions in R itself.  Looks like this
might be package fBasics, although you did not mention it.

> I changed my Windows Time Zone to GMT and my Financial Center to Montreal.

I don't think you can (Windows' idea of `GMT' is actually London time, on
BST now), and that is not the same thing.  See the rw-FAQ for how to set
environment variables: ?timeSeries seems to want TZ=GMT.

BTW Windows reports

> Sys.time()
[1] "2005-04-19 22:44:29 GMT Daylight Time"

and there is of course no such thing.

> But I still get several warnings.
>
>> Sys.timezone()
> [1] "GMT Daylight Time"
>> myFinCenter
> [1] "Montreal"
>> Sys.timeDate()
> [1] "Montreal"
> [1] [2005-04-19 10:55:02]
> Warning messages:
> 1: Set timezone to GMT! in: Sys.timeDate()

[...]

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk