[R] survreg with numerical covariates

Richard Mott Richard.Mott at well.ox.ac.uk
Tue Apr 26 23:32:25 CEST 2005

Does anyone know if the survreg function in the survival package can fit
numerical covariates ?

When I fit a survival model of the form

survreg( Surv(time,censored) ~ x )

then x is always treated as a factor even if it is numeric (and even if
I try to force it to be numeric using as.numeric(x). Thus, in the
particular example I am analysing, a simple numerical covariate becomes
a factor with 190 levels. Is this the expected behaviour ? Am I doing
something wrong ?

I am running R 2.0.1 on a 64bit Debian Linux system, and version 2.17 of
the survival package

Thanks

Richard Mott