[R] Digest reading is tedious

David Whiting david.whiting at ncl.ac.uk
Fri Aug 12 12:55:02 CEST 2005

Hi Adrian,

Here's what I used to use for a list I used to subscribe to (it is the
first example in the man page for formail, it worked for me and I never
went further playing with formail):

:0:
* !
* ^TO_expert at linux-mandrake\.com
| formail +1 -ds >>new/expert

Here is a rough summary of what it does:

:0:    (is something to do with file locking (I think))
* !    (I can't remember what this does)
* ^TO_expert at linux-mandrake\.com

^TO_ means the email address is in the To: *or* the CC: header. Note
that you have to escape the dot in the .com bit.

| formail +1 -ds >>new/expert

This pipes the digest to formail, splits the messages and puts them all
into a mailbox called new/expert (in this case).

For you, the recipe might be something like:

:0:
* !
* ^TO_r-help at stat\.math\.ethz\.ch
| formail +1 -ds >>R-undigested

HTH,

Dave

--
David Whiting
School of Clinical Medical Sciences, The Medical School

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by"
(Douglas Adams)