[R] pdf font embedding --- again

ivo_welch-rstat8303@mailblocks.com ivo_welch-rstat8303 at mailblocks.com
Mon Aug 22 22:38:37 CEST 2005

Thank you---as always.

still, I remain font-desparate.

I would love to use the fonts from my book, but [a] I cannot figure out
how to do this yet even in the R postscript device; and [b] I am using
the R pdf device, not the postscript device.  I guess if I can solve
[a], then I can rewrite all my graphics creations now into the
postscript device, and replace the dev.off() with something that
follows it with ps2pdf.  The following attempt, however, does not work:

   afmfiles <- c("lbr.afm", "lbd.afm", "lbi.afm", "lbdi.afm",
"lbms.afm");
  Lucida <- postscriptFont("Lucida", metrics=afmfiles);
  postscript(file="test.ps", family=Lucida);
  l<- 40:80;
  plot(l,l,pch=l);
  dev.off();

By the way, if I try  " postscript(family=afmfiles);" then I do not get
an R error, but R 2.1.0 segfaults, which is probably not desirable.
This occurs even if there is no .afm file in the current directory.

Can I make a suggestion to the R team?    It would be nice if I could
specify a pdf() device parameter that says "choose font settings to
embed all fonts" (i.e., do not use fonts that cannot be embedded,
either).  Something that guarantees me that I get a figure that I can
give to someone that is fully specified.   Right now, accomplishing
this is not easy to figure out, and perhaps not even possible.  Yes, in
the list of font families that R recognizes are some fonts that do not
seem among the 13 standard fonts (such as URWbookman).  moreover, if I
choose it as my pdf font family, it is smart enough to use a different
symbol file ('StandardSymL'), which I hope is also open and not adobe.
If so, they could be used in principle.  How do I get R to embed
URWbookman?  ZapfDingbats always seems to be included, so I hope this
is open and embeddable.

more help would be highly appreciated.

Regards,

/iaw