[R] pdf font embedding --- again

Paul Murrell p.murrell at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Aug 29 23:32:17 CEST 2005

Hi

I think there are two problems:

(i)  You are specifying the font incorrectly.  Try ...

# You might need to specify full paths to these
afmfiles <- c("lbr.afm", "lbd.afm", "lbi.afm", "lbdi.afm", "lbms.afm");
# Set up the mapping for "lucida" font family
postscriptFonts(lucida=postscriptFont("Lucida", metrics=afmfiles))
# Specify that the "lucida" font is to be used
postscript(file="test.ps", family="lucida");
l<- 40:80;
plot(l,l,pch=l);
dev.off();

Should work for pdf() too.

This should put a reference to the appropriate font in the PostScript or
  PDF file that R creates.

(ii)  R does not embed font information.  But you can, for example, use
ghostscript to do it, as long as you tell ghostscript about the font
too.  You might have to set up a file 'FontMap' which looks something
like ...

/Lucida   (PATH_TO/lb___.pfb);

... (assuming that lb___.pfb is the name of the .pfb file for the Lucida
font).  Then try something like (NOTE that you have to specify
GS_FONTPATH to tell ghostscript where your FontMap file is) ...

GS_FONTPATH=PATH_TO_FontMap gs -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=pdfwrite
-sPAPERSIZE=a4 -sOutputFile=testembed.pdf test.pdf

This should give you a file with the font info embedded and then you
should be able to include that in a LaTeX document.

Paul

p.s. Thanks for the segfault report.  I will look at why that is happening.

Dr Paul Murrell
Department of Statistics
The University of Auckland
Private Bag 92019