[R] staying with R, jobs in R

Adaikalavan Ramasamy ramasamy at cancer.org.uk
Tue Aug 30 03:37:31 CEST 2005

Like Berton Gunter said, jobs are usually classified by subject than
softwares used. It is difficult to change the mindset of people in a
workplace that worships software A and condemns software B. Try learning
enough of A to know its weakness/strengths and demonstrate some examples
where B can do the job much better than A. Warning : This can be a slow
and sometimes a pointless one.

What you should be looking for instead is for a flexible and
understanding employer that will allow you to experiment with other
softwares. You could enquire about this before you apply for a given
job. My biased opinion is that academic line gives you this flexibility.
If you are interested in academia in UK, check out www.jobs.ac.uk.

As for bio/pharamaceutical-related jobs, especially those dealing with
*omics technology, knowledge of R and BioConductor can be a real
advantage. Some of these are advertised on the BioConductor mail list.

Regards, Adai