[R] is it possible to use R to edit an EXCEL spreadsheet so I can create a searchable EXCEL database of R packages?

Bob Green bgreen at dyson.brisnet.org.au
Tue Dec 6 00:58:24 CET 2005

I have copied the R FAQ pertaining to available packages into an EXCEL
file. They take the following form -

Design
Regression modeling, testing, estimation, validation, graphics, prediction,
and typesetting by storing enhanced model design attributes in the fit.
Design is a etc.

Devore5
Data sets and sample analyses from "Probability and Statistics for
Engineering and the Sciences (5th ed)" by Jay L. Devore, 2000, Duxbury.

Presently the above format can be represented as:

package name
package description
space

I want to change the format so that file name and description are in
adjacent columns and the space is removed

package name    package description
package name    package description

Is this possible in R so I can create a searchable EXCEL database of R
packages. I imagine this would be easily carried out using PERL though was
interested to know R's capacity to work on textual data?

Any assistance regarding this is appreciated,

Bob Green