[R] is it possible to use R to edit an EXCEL spreadsheet so I can create a searchable EXCEL database of R packages?

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Tue Dec 6 02:53:46 CET 2005

Dear Bob,

In my copy of the R FAQ (from the Rgui for Windows), these is no space
between entries which, when copied to a text file, look like:

AMORE
    A MORE flexible neural network package, providing the TAO robust neural
network algorithm.
AlgDesign
    Algorithmic experimental designs. Calculates exact and approximate
theory experimental designs for D, A, and I criteria.

etc.

For this, the following works:

packages <- readLines("c:/temp/Packages.txt")
packages <- gsub("^\ *", "", gsub("\ *$", "", packages))  # get rid of
leading and trailing blanks
packages <- matrix(packages, ncol=2, byrow=TRUE)
write.table(packages, "c:/temp/Packages2.txt", sep=",",
    row.names=FALSE, col.names=FALSE)

Producing a comma-separated text file that can be imported into Excel, and
that looks like:

"AMORE","A MORE flexible neural network package, providing the TAO robust
neural network algorithm."
"AlgDesign","Algorithmic experimental designs. Calculates exact and
approximate theory experimental designs for D, A, and I criteria."

etc.

If you started with blank lines between packages, then (making sure that
there is a blank line after the last package in the input file) you could
adapt this as:

packages <- readLines("c:/temp/Packages.txt")
packages <- gsub("^\ *", "", gsub("\ *$", "", packages))
packages <- matrix(packages, ncol=3, byrow=TRUE)
write.table(packages[,1:2], "c:/temp/Packages2.txt", sep=",",
    row.names=FALSE, col.names=FALSE)

I hope this helps,
 John

John Fox