[R] how to import the large SPSS data file into R?

ronggui 042045003 at fudan.edu.cn
Mon Dec 12 15:45:08 CET 2005

I have a spss format data file which is about 134M,and I want to read it into R and analysis the data.
I plan to split the file into 4 parts and then use read.spss to read it,but during the process,the RGui crashes.
and I try to convert it into csv file and use read.csv to import it,but after 1 hours,the process is still not completed.

So I want to know if my computer can do this job without using database.if It can,what is the best way to read the data file into R?

My pc's RAM is 512M and the processor is 1.7GHz.

> version
         _
platform i386-pc-mingw32
arch     i386