[R] memory tops out at 1.84gb on OS X 10.4 machine w/ 5GB ram

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Thu Dec 15 16:58:37 CET 2005

On 12/15/05 10:36 AM, "Albert Vilella" <avilella at gmail.com> wrote:

> El dj 15 de 12 del 2005 a les 08:17 -0500, en/na Roger D. Peng va
> escriure:
>> I'm not completely sure, but I don't think OS X is at the point yet where it
>> can
>> access > 2GB of memory (like, for example, Linux on Opteron).  More
>> specifically, I'm not sure a single process image can access > 2GB of memory,
>> but I'd welcome any corrections to that statement.  To be sure, this problem
>> is
>> not an issue with R because R has regularly been reported to access u> 4GB of
>> memory when the OS allows it.
>
> I may seen somewhere that OSX has a "per process" limit of ~1.5GB max
> RAM,

I don't think this is true.  See here for Apple's answer:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Performance/Conceptual/ManagingMemo
ry/index.html

Note that receiving a malloc error means that malloc failed.  Therefore,
what you see in ActivityMonitor is the memory consumption BEFORE a large
memory block is allocated, if I understand things correctly.  Correct me if
I'm wrong here, please.

Sean