[R] memory tops out at 1.84gb on OS X 10.4 machine w/ 5GB ram

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Dec 15 17:49:40 CET 2005

The issue here is not the per-process addess space, which is 4Gb on all
32-bit OSes (more or less by definition), but the user address space of
the process.  That will be less, and how much less depends on the OS.
For most it seems to be 3Gb for the user, 1Gb for the system, but Windows
by default has 2Gb for each.  I've never seen an authorative figure for
MacOS X.

That's one issue.  Another is that with a 3Gb address space, it is likely
that there will be no large contiguous blocks once more than half of it is
in use, so memory allocation can fail even if there is memory available
(as if is fragmented).

See ?"Memory-limits" and the R-admin manual (on 32- vs 64-bit versions)
for further discussion.

Note that although Apple claims to have a 64-bit OS, the reality is
that they have made some small steps in that direction:

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/macosx-10.4.ars/4

AFAIK the precompiled version of R is 32-bit only rather than the 'fat
binary' discussed there, and in any case GUI applications are restricted
to 32-bit.

Note that we don't even know if 'Jerk Alert' was talking about MacOS, as
he did not actually say so.  But only MacOS users seems to refer to a
operating system using two Tens (one Roman).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk