[R] Plot problems: xlim

hadley wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 13:54:47 CET 2005

> Without any options, plot.density spreads out nicely, however, naturally, the line I want to add is not plotted since it
> is well outside the range automatically determined by plot.density hence the need to add xlim however this produces
> something I dont find aesthetically appealing. The plot is squeezed out into a very lean "bell" shape.

Using a broken axis is not a good solution to this problem (and there
are very few times that using a broken axis is a good idea)

It sounds like you are trying to compare a reference value to a
distribution.  To do this visually they both need to be on the same
scale, so that you can see the distance between the reference value
and the distribution.

Although it may not be aesthetically pleasing, it is true to the data.

Hadley