[R] maps package will not load

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Dec 23 17:44:31 CET 2005

The problem is a bug in your OS.  (Given that Microsoft no longer supports
it, the bug is not going to get fixed.  Do you really want to be running
an unsupported OS that was superseded in 1999?)

You will need to compile package maps from the sources, after altering
maps/src/Makefile.win as follows

DLLLIBS = -L$(RHOME)/bin -L$(RHOME)/src/gnuwin32 -lR
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  delete this

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk