[R] Problem with "R CMD Rd2dvi": Rd.sty not found

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Feb 15 13:02:47 CET 2005

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 21:27:03 +0000 (UTC), Gabor Grothendieck
<ggrothendieck at myway.com> wrote :

>Tuszynski, Jaroslaw W. <JAROSLAW.W.TUSZYNSKI <at> saic.com> writes:
>
>:
>: Hi,
>:
>: I run into a problem with "R CMD Rd2dvi" command: it gives me "File `Rd.sty'
>: not found" error (See the output message on the bottom). I get the same
>: error when running "RCMD check". My system is: Windows 2000, R version
>: 2.0.1, MiKTeX version 2.4. I do have a Rd.sty file in R_HOME/share/texm
>: directory.
>:

>There is some information on this at:
>
>http://www.murdoch-sutherland.com/Rtools/miktex.html

The information there is slightly out of date:  the last version of
Miktex that I've tried has broken that solution.  I asked the author
about it, and he replied as below.

I think this is pretty poor behaviour on the part of Miktex, but in
other respects I prefer it to fptex.

For what you're doing, you need to set up your
"$R_HOME/bin/helpprint.bat" file so that it makes use of the TEXINPUTS
environment variable.  You want the pdftex command to have something
like

-include-directory=%TEXINPUTS%

in it and then it will look in the right places for the includes.

Duncan Murdoch