[R] Problem with "R CMD Rd2dvi": Rd.sty not found

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at myway.com
Tue Feb 15 20:44:51 CET 2005

Duncan Murdoch <murdoch <at> stats.uwo.ca> writes:

:
: On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 21:27:03 +0000 (UTC), Gabor Grothendieck
: <ggrothendieck <at> myway.com> wrote :
:
: >Tuszynski, Jaroslaw W. <JAROSLAW.W.TUSZYNSKI <at> saic.com> writes:
: >
: >:
: >: Hi,
: >:
: >: I run into a problem with "R CMD Rd2dvi" command: it gives me "File
`Rd.sty'
: >: not found" error (See the output message on the bottom). I get the same
: >: error when running "RCMD check". My system is: Windows 2000, R version
: >: 2.0.1, MiKTeX version 2.4. I do have a Rd.sty file in R_HOME/share/texm
: >: directory.
: >:
:  ...
:
: >There is some information on this at:
: >
: >http://www.murdoch-sutherland.com/Rtools/miktex.html
:
: The information there is slightly out of date:  the last version of
: Miktex that I've tried has broken that solution.  I asked the author
: about it, and he replied as below.
:
: I think this is pretty poor behaviour on the part of Miktex, but in
: other respects I prefer it to fptex.
:
: For what you're doing, you need to set up your
: "$R_HOME/bin/helpprint.bat" file so that it makes use of the TEXINPUTS
: environment variable.  You want the pdftex command to have something
: like
:
: -include-directory=%TEXINPUTS%
:
: in it and then it will look in the right places for the includes.
:
: Duncan Murdoch

I tried playing around with MiKTeX and got some advice on the TeX
list and now am using this config.  This example assumes you have
put your localtexmf file in \localtexmf and are running
R 2.0.1 from \Program Files\R\rw2001; otherwise, make the obvious
changes.

1. Create a new tex subfolder of your \localtexmf\texmf folder:

    md \localtexmf\texmf\tex

2. Copy your R .sty and .fd files into it:

    cd \Program Files\R\rw2001\share\texmf
    copy *.* \localtexmf\texmf\tex

3. Go into

    Start | Programs | MiKTeX | MiKTeX Options | General

   and press Update Now and Refresh Now.   (I am not certain that this
   step needs to be done but it can't hurt.)

#2 and #3 need to be repeated each time one installs a new version
of R if the *.sty or *.fd files have changed but if they have not
changed then nothing at all needs to be done.  It has the advantage
that it leaves all MiKTeX options at their defaults.  It represents
a fourth alternative to the three listed at:

   http://www.murdoch-sutherland.com/Rtools/miktex.html