[R] Problem with "R CMD Rd2dvi": Rd.sty not found

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at myway.com
Tue Feb 15 20:59:56 CET 2005

Gabor Grothendieck <ggrothendieck <at> myway.com> writes:

> I tried playing around with MiKTeX and got some advice on the TeX
> list and now am using this config.  This example assumes you have
> put your localtexmf file in \localtexmf and are running
> R 2.0.1 from \Program Files\R\rw2001; otherwise, make the obvious
> changes.

Sorry, there were some errors in my description of configuring
MiKTeX so that it finds the Rd.sty file and associated files.
It should be:

1. Create a new tex subfolder of your \localtexmf folder:

    md \localtexmf\tex

2. Copy your R .sty and .fd files into it:

     cd \Program Files\R\rw2001\share\texmf
     copy *.* \localtexmf\tex

3. Go into

     Start | Programs | MiKTeX | MiKTeX Options | General

    and press Update Now and Refresh Now.   (I am not certain that this
    step needs to be done but it can't hurt.)

4.  You can check whether it is finding Rd.sty in the right place
    with the command:

     findtexmf Rd.sty

#2 - #4 need to be repeated each time one installs a new version
of R if the *.sty or *.fd files have changed but if they have not
changed then nothing at all needs to be done.  It has the advantage
that it leaves all MiKTeX options at their defaults and does not
need a custom miktex.ini file.  It represents a fourth alternative
to the three listed at:

    http://www.murdoch-sutherland.com/Rtools/miktex.html