[R] Precompiled x86_64 Binaries?

Thomas Colson tom_colson at ncsu.edu
Fri Feb 18 15:58:26 CET 2005

Can't seem to find a x86_64 RPM for R on any of the DL mirrors. Does one
exist?

From: Peter Dalgaard <p.dalgaard_at_biostat.ku.dk>
Date: Fri 22 Oct 2004 - 23:00:41 EST

Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> R does not run under (beta) 64-bit Windows on x86_64 and we have no plans
> to port it there, but it does run under 32-bit Windows on that processor.
> I am sure it will run on several 64-bit operating systems on Apple
> Macintosh's so-called G5 hardware -- I believe we have seen a report that
> includes an in-progress version of MacOS 10.4 -- and also several 32-bit
> ones.

Re. Windows, the issue is that we're using the mingw32 toolkit. If there is
ever a mingw64, I'm sure we'd attempt a port almost immediately.

> If you want a prebuilt version you are out of luck except for Debian Linux

> on Alpha or ia64, from a quick glance.

Actually, I've rolled up an x86_64 RPM for SuSE 9.1 which should be en route
to CRAN. Detlef Steuer is awaiting delivery of a 64bit machine and plan to
maintain the SuSE version in the longer run. It's sitting in
http://www.biostat.ku.dk/~pd/R-suse9.1-x86_64 for now.

In general, it seems to be quite trivial to take a SPEC or SRPM for the 32
bit version of a distribution and rebuild an RPM for 64 bits.

However, you might prefer to install from the source tarball anyway if you
want to take advantage of high-performance libraries (some of which can not
be redistributed).

Tom Colson
Center for Earth Observation
North Carolina State University