[R] Precompiled x86_64 Binaries?

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Fri Feb 18 17:30:52 CET 2005

"Tom Colson" <tom_colson at ncsu.edu> writes:

>  Yes, I meant to say Suse.
>
> I had tried Fedora....but I'm one of those who has to have bleeding edge
> hardware...for which there are no working Fedora Drivers. Hence the switch
> to Suse...so I can get video..so I can get a 64 Bit R running.
>

> All of this is just a "test". If we can get 64Bit R compiled and running
> here...then we'll go to the Blade center with a procedure log on install and
> repeat it on the Grid Computer.

It's fairly easy to build from source on SuSE. I've been doing it
regularly for almost a year. I might switch it over to Fedora though,
because it is having trouble with the software for my MP3 player...

One advantage of building from source is that you can incorporate a
fast BLAS.

You can even build your own RPM using Detlef's spec files. Just make
sure that you have all the prerequisites since he hasn't been too good
at putting build-depends in. (But now he seem to have caught the
Post-Thesis Workaholism Syndrome, so he might get around to it soon.
Or provide the 64bit RPMs.)