[Rd] [R][Rdev] any way to generate "bitmap" (tif, jpeg, png etc) files in R CMD BATCH

Simon Urbanek urbanek at research.att.com
Fri Feb 25 17:56:00 CET 2005

On Feb 25, 2005, at 10:05 AM, Oleg Sklyar wrote:

> here is the problem, Linux problem (reported to work on Windows). I
> need to generate graphical output in any of bitmap format under the 'R
> CMD BATCH'. Whereas the script generating png-s works perfectly in the
> R session, such things as X11, png and jpeg are not usable in BATCH

There are other ways, but if you have (or can install) libgd and
freetype, you may consider using the GDD device - it can produce jpeg,
png and gif on unix w/o the need of X11. The nice thing about it is
speed (it doesn't use any external process) and that it uses
anti-aliasing of both text and lines. It was designed specifically for
graphics-on-demand on web servers.

Currenly GDD is not on CRAN (yet), but you can get it from
http://www.rosuda.org/R/nightly/
Just make sure that you have libgd and freetype (if you any problems or
suggestions, please drop me a line).

There are other methods, too, like the bitmap device, which uses gs
(AFAICS), or you can run virtual X11 to satisfy the devices that
require X11.

Cheers,
Simon