[R][Rdev] any way to generate "bitmap" (tif, jpeg, png etc) files in R CMD BATCH

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Feb 26 03:30:48 CET 2005

Oleg,

Please do not cross-post between r-devel and r-help. It is considered bad
taste.

On 25 February 2005 at 15:05, Oleg Sklyar wrote:
| Hi Community,
|
| here is the problem, Linux problem (reported to work on Windows). I need
| to generate graphical output in any of bitmap format under the 'R CMD
| BATCH'. Whereas the script generating png-s works perfectly in the R
| session, such things as X11, png and jpeg are not usable in BATCH (they
| cannot be switched on by --gui-X11 etc) and X11 is prompted to be
| required for png. At the same time, such things as postscript and pdf,
| which are generally X-independent work fine. The problem is that as a
| result I need something previewable in the web browser: png, jpeg. Any
| suggestions how to proceed? Generally I could use command line linux
| tools to convert from almost any bitmpa format to the required png or
| jpeg, but it would be nicer to have them as direct R output.

This is a FAQ, see

http://cran.r-project.org/doc/FAQ/R-FAQ.html#How-do-I-produce-PNG-graphics-in-batch-mode_003f

and, say, "?bitmap" in R.

Hth, Dirk

--
Better to have an approximate answer to the right question than a precise
answer to the wrong question.  --  John Tukey as quoted by John Chambers