[R] make R package for windows on Linux

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jan 5 12:27:56 CET 2005

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005, [ISO-8859-1] Halldor Björnsson wrote:

> I made a package on a linux box. All worked fine.
> The package contains only R code (no C). I then wanted to make a zip file so
> that I could test the package on a windows machine.

Why?  R works the same on Windows and Linux.

> I have tried all the obvious ways to do this (and even some that are
> not!), but to no avail. The only instructions I find about building
> packages for windows (e.g. mypkg.zip) seem to imply that the build be
> done on a windows machine.

You've not noticed the section on cross-building: it _is_ documented
in README.packages (in the Windows installation, and in the sources).

> Is there a simple way to make mypkg.zip under linux and then install it as a
> zip file on a windows machine?

The following *may* work (it _is_ the obvious way so you have probably
tried it?).

On the Linux (or any other OS) box

cd R_HOME/library
zip -r9X mypkg mypkg

Send mypkg.zip to the Windows box.

On the Windows box
unzip mypkg.zip -d /path/to/R/library

I've just tried 'urn' and it worked for me.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk