[R] configure error for R-2.0.1

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jan 7 15:18:05 CET 2005

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, Sivakumar Ramagopal wrote:

> I'm trying to build R-2.0.1 on and AMD64/Linux (Suse 9.1) and I get the
> following error while running the configure script.

> checking for dummy main to link with Fortran libraries... none
> checking for Fortran name-mangling scheme... lower case, underscore, extra
> underscore
> checking whether g77 appens underscores to external names... yes
> checking whether mixed C/Fortran code can be run... configure: WARNING:
> cannot run mixed C/Fortran code
> configure: error: Maybe check LDFLAGS for paths to Fortran libraries?
>
> I have gcc-3.3.3.

Have you done as it suggests?  Please see the R posting guide and make
sure you give us enough information to help you.  One place to look is in
config.log.

R 2.0.1 does build on AMD64 with gcc 3.3.3, but SuSE does seem to use
non-standard paths (that is, not those from the gcc sources).  In
particular, is this a 32- or 64-bit build and if the latter is /lib64 in
the library path?

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk