[R] problem with up arrow

a j mittime at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 05:56:46 CET 2005

Hi,

I just compiled R on solaris.

Everything seems to run fine.

Except, the up and down arrows don't take me
through the history.  See:

~/R-2.0.1/bin: R

R : Copyright 2004, The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Version 2.0.1  (2004-11-15), ISBN 3-900051-07-0

'help.start()' for a HTML browser interface to help.
Type 'q()' to quit R.

> x=c(2,3,4)
> ^[[A
Error: syntax error
> ^[[B
Error: syntax error

The ^[[A is my up arrow keypress
and the ^[[B is my down arrow keypress.

How can I get these arrows to take me through history?