[R] problem with up arrow

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Jan 8 06:08:23 CET 2005

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 11:56:46PM -0500, a j wrote:
> I just compiled R on solaris.
>
> Everything seems to run fine.
>
> Except, the up and down arrows don't take me
> through the history.  See:
[...]

> How can I get these arrows to take me through history?

It's a FAQ -- you need readline support. Check your build logs, you should
see something like this (which is from the Debian builds I maintain /
coordinate, you'd obviously get something other than i386, though):

R is now configured for i386-pc-linux-gnu

  Source directory:          .
  Installation directory:    /usr

  C compiler:                gcc  -g -O2
  C++ compiler:              g++  -g -O2
  Fortran compiler:          g77  -g -O2

  Interfaces supported:      X11, gnome, tcltk
  External libraries:        readline, BLAS(generic)
  Additional capabilities:   PNG, JPEG
  Options enabled:           shared library, R profiling

  Recommended packages:      no

Note the 'readline' after external libraries. You need it for the "up-arrow".

Dirk

--
If you don't go with R now, you will someday.
  -- David Kane on r-sig-finance, 30 Nov 2004