[R] R package classification

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at wu-wien.ac.at
Fri Jan 14 18:08:10 CET 2005

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, Dan Bebber wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> there are now >400 packages available on CRAN.
> Would it be useful to classify these packages
> according to what they do (e.g. classification,
> graphics, spatial statistics), to assist the user in
> finding the appropriate package for their problem? Or
> perhaps the search facility is enough.
> I would attempt such a classification, but my
> knowledge of statistical methods isn't good enough.

We are currently playing around with a concept of "task views" for CRAN.
The idea is that there are maintained "views" on CRAN that highlight which
CRAN packages are useful for, say, biostats, econometrics, machine
learning, etc. So there should be a web page giving a summary and a
package list that could also be queried for automatic package
installation.
Although there is some prototype code, this still needs more refinement
and discussions etc. But I hope there will be something useful in the not
so distant future.