[R] clustering

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Fri Jan 28 00:58:28 CET 2005

It depends a lot on what you know or don't know about the data, and what
problem you're trying to solve.

If you know for sure it's a mixture of gaussians, likelihood based
approaches might be better.  MASS (the book) has an example of fitting
univariate mixture of gaussians using various optimizers.  The code is even
in $R_HOME/library/MASS/scripts/ch16.R.

Andy