[R] chisq.test and anova problems

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Mon Jun 6 20:12:32 CEST 2005

Dear Richard,

Take a look at the help file for chisq.test (e.g., ?chisq.test): Missing
data are excluded when the contingency table for x and y is formed, so you
need do nothing special to get what you want -- just chisq.test(x, y).

> the second problem is with anova in the data set we are
> working on we have to use this method on multiple variables
> with a difference in length, can this be done. this is the
> syntax we used and the error is stated behind.
>
> anova(lm(test~test1)) and the error states variable length differ.

I'm guessing that test and test1 are two samples on the response variable
that you want to compare, though that's not entirely clear from your
question. To do a one-way anova via lm(), you should have all of the
observations on the response in one variable and a factor giving group
membership of each observation; then anova(lm(response~factor)) will give
you the one-way ANOVA table. Also take a look at ?aov. Finally, if I've
correctly guessed what you're trying to do, then t.test(test, test1) is an
alternative.

More generally, have you looked at the introductory manual that comes with
R?

I hope this helps,
 John