[R] umlauts in Rd files

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Wed Jun 15 18:32:43 CEST 2005

Hi, Robin:

	  Have you considered using "moebius"?  In my elementary German class,
I was taught that "oe" was an acceptable alternative to the umlaut.
(This may not be relevant, but Google just gave me 788,000 hits for
"moebius" and 750,000 for "mobius".)  Perhaps one of our German
contributors could tell us which they prefer.

	  I use a keyboard that is mostly standard US.  I still sometimes write
things in Spanish, French, or German.  In addition to my limited
facility with other languages, I'm also crippled when it comes to
creating special characters like umlauts, to say nothing of Japanese or
Chinese characters.  If you want "möbius" for a package that you expect
others to use, do you want to restrict its usage only to people who know
how to create your special characters?  One of our Japanese contributors
could write a function to compute Akaike's information criterion or
something else named after a prominent Asian and require the rest of us
to configure our computers to created the Japanese or Chinese or Korean
characters to "properly" represent the name.  For the names of files and
functions, it would be much simpler though less elegant if we restricted
ourselves to the most universal character set;  of course the content of
those files, etc., may reflect the different culture and heritage of the
user.

	  Best Wishes,
	  spencer graves