[R] [OT] Re: umlauts in Rd files

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Jun 15 20:30:03 CEST 2005

Spencer Graves <spencer.graves <at> pdf.com> writes:
> (This may not be relevant, but Google just gave me 788,000 hits for
> "moebius" and 750,000 for "mobius".)  Perhaps one of our German
> contributors could tell us which they prefer.

As you asked for it:  The former is correct, and the second is a misspelling. So
there is no choice but simply "right" and "wrong".

The only alternative to the full '8-bit' spelling with an Umlaut is the
'transcribed 7-bit' form of replacing the 'two dots over the vowel' with an
'appended e after the vowel'.  As in Maechler, or in the From: field above.

The problem is that most of the world simply drops the dots: E.g. the comparison
 of 'Wolfgang Hardle' and 'Wolfgang Haerdle' at scholar.google.com shows that the
correct form is (barely) leading with a narrow 227 to 220.   My PhD dissertation
is archived in the French Bibliotheque Nationale under Eddelbuttel as I opted
for the correct 8-bit form (using LaTeX) which got of course transcribed into the
incorrect Eddelbuttel.  Some lessons are learned the hard way ...

Hope this helps,  Dirk