[R] Fedora Core 4

Jonathan Baron baron at psych.upenn.edu
Sat Jun 18 11:25:56 CEST 2005

I had installed R from source on Fedora Core 3.  Then I upgraded
to Fedora Core 4, but left R alone.  R worked fine, until I trued
to update.packages().  Even then, many packages updated just
fine, but two of them, cluster and mgcv, failed with the
following error message (using cluster as an example):

gcc -shared -L/usr/local/lib -o cluster.so clara.o daisy.o
dysta.o fanny.o meet.o mona.o pam.o spannel.o twins.o  -lg2c -lm -lgcc_s
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lg2c
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [cluster.so] Error 1

I tracked this down as far as I could and got to this page:
http://gcc.gnu.org/fortran/usage.html
in the section about "Compatability with g77."  The problem seems
to have something to do with Fortran.

Before I invest more time, I wonder if someone knows what to do.
1. Re-install R from source.
2. Try the RPM for Fedora Core 4.  It isn't in CRAN, but it is in
Fedora "extras".  R is now part of the Fedora distribution,
albeit one of the many things they have put in "extras" in an
effort to limit the distribution to 4 CDs.
3. Report a bug.  But where?  Is it a bug in R?
4. Something else.

Jon
Home page: http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~baron