[R] Fedora Core 4

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jun 18 14:00:27 CEST 2005

There has been discussion of this on R-devel in the context of the release
of 2.1.1.

FC4 contains gfortran, not g77 (unless you install everything when you
get g77 from gcc-3.2.3 in some compatibility RPM).  This is not a bug: R
compiled on one OS (or even machine) is not expected to work on another.
-lg2c is part of gcc-3.x.y, and gfortran uses something like -lgfortran
(FC3's gcc4 didn't use the standard name, so I am being cautious).

I think it is fortuitous that R runs in your tests without crashing:
libRlapack.so is linked against libg2c.0.0 and actually calls entry points
in it.  (The R executable is also linked but seems to contain no such
entry points.)

I would suggest installing 2.1.1 on Monday from the sources, or waiting
for a 2.1.1 RPM.  I believe gcc-3.4.4 is still a better choice than
gcc-4.0.0 on ix86: it runs faster and there are several cases in which
4.0.0 appears to give incorrect answers.  I am waiting for the eventual
release of 4.0.1 to test these more thoroughly.  (See the notes in the
R-admin manual: fortunately FC4's gcc4 is just recent enough to avoid the
showstopper bug.)

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005, Jonathan Baron wrote:

> I had installed R from source on Fedora Core 3.  Then I upgraded
> to Fedora Core 4, but left R alone.  R worked fine, until I trued
> to update.packages().  Even then, many packages updated just
> fine, but two of them, cluster and mgcv, failed with the
> following error message (using cluster as an example):
>
> gcc -shared -L/usr/local/lib -o cluster.so clara.o daisy.o
> dysta.o fanny.o meet.o mona.o pam.o spannel.o twins.o  -lg2c -lm -lgcc_s
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lg2c
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [cluster.so] Error 1
>
> I tracked this down as far as I could and got to this page:
> http://gcc.gnu.org/fortran/usage.html
> in the section about "Compatability with g77."  The problem seems
> to have something to do with Fortran.

Interesting spelling!

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk