[R] Data in an object = Existing Objects??

achilleas.psomas@wsl.ch achilleas.psomas at wsl.ch
Tue Mar 1 17:53:29 CET 2005

Dear R-help...

I am rather new so I would appreciate your help..
My question if the following..

I have generated (with R) a data frame DF looking like this..

> print(DF)
       X1      X2
2   C_05_04 C_05_11
3   C_05_04 C_05_17
4   C_05_04 C_06_08
5   C_05_04 C_06_29
6   C_05_04 C_07_16

Where "C_05_04"....and all the rest data are objects-names already calculated
and existing in my R workspace...
What i tried to do (and i doesnt work) is the following
e.g

x1 <- DF[1,1]
  C_05_04

(Where C_05_04 exists as an object in the workspace )
and then try to apply any kind of function using this x1
Is there a way to specify that x1 should be concidered as an object and not just
as data ?

I hope i have explained clearly enough my question..

I would appreciate any help.

Achilleas.