[R] write a library under 2.0.1 version

Paul Roebuck roebuck at odin.mdacc.tmc.edu
Tue Mar 1 23:47:43 CET 2005

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 marta at statistica.it wrote:
>
> > I had written a library under R 1.9.0 and now I would like to import that
> > library under R 2.0.1
> > Apparently it does not work; I can install the package, but when I try to
> > read it the error is the following:
> >
> > Error in library(compvar) : 'compvar' is not a valid package -- installed
> > < 2.0.0
> >
> > [SNIP]
>
> You install the package with R CMD INSTALL, just as was documented for
> 1.9.1.  See the `Writing R Extensions' and `R Installation and
> Administration' manuals.

Out of curiousity, just how often has the package installation
compatibility between versions been an issue? Would it perhaps
be beneficial to version personal directories by major version?
I.e. instead of having just "~/R/library", would it be better
to have "~/R/1.x/library" and "~/R/2.x/library" and have the
.Rprofile select appropriately depending on version of R being
executed? If so, maybe this question would cease to be an issue.

I'd be interested to know how Prof. Ripley's R_LIBS variable
is defined, if he wouldn't mind sharing. Also curious if most
people keep BioConductor packages installed separately in a
third location.