[R] write a library under 2.0.1 version

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Wed Mar 2 08:31:04 CET 2005

Paul Roebuck wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>

>>On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 marta at statistica.it wrote:
>>

>>>I had written a library under R 1.9.0 and now I would like to import that
>>>library under R 2.0.1
>>>Apparently it does not work; I can install the package, but when I try to
>>>read it the error is the following:
>>>
>>>Error in library(compvar) : 'compvar' is not a valid package -- installed
>>>< 2.0.0
>>>
>>>[SNIP]
>>
>>You install the package with R CMD INSTALL, just as was documented for
>>1.9.1.  See the `Writing R Extensions' and `R Installation and
>>Administration' manuals.
>

> Out of curiousity, just how often has the package installation
> compatibility between versions been an issue? Would it perhaps

Happens from time to time, in particular if compiled code is included.

> be beneficial to version personal directories by major version?
> I.e. instead of having just "~/R/library", would it be better
> to have "~/R/1.x/library" and "~/R/2.x/library" and have the

Why???

> .Rprofile select appropriately depending on version of R being
> executed? If so, maybe this question would cease to be an issue.

Why do you want to execute any R version < 2.0.1?

> I'd be interested to know how Prof. Ripley's R_LIBS variable
> is defined, if he wouldn't mind sharing. Also curious if most
> people keep BioConductor packages installed separately in a
> third location.

Now I'm completely lost. if you really want to keep separate libraries
for R-2.x.y and R-1.x.y, you can simply call R with R_LIBS set, or for
your convenience write a two line shell script that sets R_LIBS
appropriately and calls the relevant version of R after that.

Uwe Ligges